Most amazing cloth pad and accompaning photo by modern Acorn.
*warning* I talk about menstrual cycles and alternative forms of maintaining them in this post. If you don't want to read about my period and slightly crunchy ways feel free to skip this entry. Just saying.
About a year ago I decided to stop using disposable pads for my cycles and I don’t quite remember why that was. I know that the decision was based on the fact that I hate that North America has become such a “throw-away society”, it was also based on me hating to pay for things that I will use once and then discard; but I think it was largely based on a discussion James and I had. I was the one doing most of the talking about why I felt so strongly towards using cloth diapers for our child. I feel very adamant about this and James suddenly asked me why I use disposable pads for myself if they have pretty much the same disadvantages as disposable diapers do for babies. That question really got me thinking and that I believe is when I realized that needed to put my words into actions.
After a year I still do not have enough cloth pads for a full cycle and because this one fell on a long weekend I was able to use what I have to try it out. All in all it was a great experience and not as inconvenient as I thought it would be. The only downside is that I bled through 2 pads but it was ok seeing that I was at home; which is the main reason why I have not used cloth throughout my other cycles. The pads I have made are not thick enough for my heavy watery flow. When I am at work or out and about I do not trust mine to absorb my flow. I need to either find material for two more heavy pads or justify buying them. The only bought one I have is the one in the above picture which is so amazing and well made. Mine are junk in comparison but I am sure with much more practice sewing I can create some thinner ones that actually stay in place and absorb my blood. My only drawback is that I need more material and that can be very expensive.
My adventures in cloth menstrual pads have also led me to start using cloth wipes for cleaning my face at night and I am also going to start using cloth toilet paper for myself when I pee. Hopefully I can also make some cloth napkins so that we can stop using paper towels all the time.
For some great articles on why cloth is a better choice please read here and here.
Monday, October 13, 2008
I was never one to do things like everyone else.
Posted by
Melanie Routhier
at
7:47 PM
Labels: health, my Thoughtful Place
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

5 comments:
I bought the Lunapad starting set and while it was 80 bucks it gave me enough for a full cycle. Course mine is only 4 days long. I just bought a bunch more the other day to give me more flexibility in what I want. I love them. :)
Cool! My cycle is only 2 days long, are all your pads from Lunapad?
Paper towels are the devil! Heh. Not really but they are so so wasteful. We use dish towels and cloth rags for cleaning and drying everything.
yep all of them are luna pads. I know im too lazy to make my own.
Wonderful post, I like seeing that I'm not the only one...
Post a Comment