Monday, June 16, 2008

Born to run.


My new running shoes. :)

My LTR( learn to run)class is in its 4th week and we are up to walk 1 min, run 3 min which is completely kicking my ass. But I am again so proud of myself for sticking this out. I am not however pleased with the actual place that is hosting it. It is a running store here in Vancouver and there really is no support involved what-so-ever. I am always last in the pack and I am fine with that fact; I know that I am out of shape and have no qualms about being last. There are a few others that are in the back with me and each time they have some sort of physical complaint. Our instructor has not once come to the back of the group to see how everyone is doing. There are no motivating remarks or asking if we are doing ok. There was even one time where someone actually fell onto the grass clutching their leg and the “instructor” didn’t even notice. She was already around the corner and I had to run ahead shouting her name to get her attention. I’m not completely sure if these “instructors” have any training or qualifications other than they can run. But this is not ok in my opinion.

Walking home tonight I came to the realization that these classes are labelled “Learn to Run without injury”; not Learn How to Get into Shape or Learn How to Actually Be Able to Run. So maybe I was expecting too much. I guess if I could already run a whole block they would be ok but for someone that is in no shape and cannot run this is not something I would recommend.

Oh well.

2 comments:

WhimsicalBird said...

Is it the room or the den? I'm looking to sign up with one of them in July, but I too am not sure about what qualifications they have.

But double yay for sticking with it.

Melanie Routhier said...

It's the room. I don't know how different the other one is but I would probably check them out and see what the diff is.

Thanks.