
traditional Japanese door @ Seido en
Like most people today I frequent a few websites almost daily and lately I have been looking at them and wondering why I enjoy them so much. Most of them are craft related and so it is obvious why I go to them. But some of them have nothing to do with anything really other than talking about daily life stuff. The two that come to mind the most are Superhero and Dooce. Upon further inspection I realize that both of these ladies share very personal and intimate aspects of their lives with the world. But what neither of them does is post personal and intimate details about anyone else in their lives (with the exception of their kids). And after looking through Heather’s site I came upon this little nugget of wisdom:
“Why can't I see any posts from those first few months?
Because I was very naive and stupid when I first started this website, wrote horrible things about my family and their religion, and when they found what I had done I took everything down and had a little meeting with myself about boundaries.”
Reading this sent a little firecracker off in my brain and I looked over the few posts that I have here. Why in the world would I think it’s ok to expose my friend’s and family’s details to the world? Would I want them doing the same? And so from now on I vow to only write about myself on here. In the past over in Live Journal land I wrote extensively sometimes about people in my life without their knowledge or consent. Sure only those that I chose could read those entries but how naive I was to think that was ok.
The one good thing I have found about keeping an online account of my life is being able to go back and really see firsthand just how much I have matured over the years. At least all of those lame posts were good for something.
Sunday, December 16, 2007
A Look at Boundaries
Posted by
Melanie Routhier
at
10:07 PM
Labels: my Thoughtful Place
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment