
circa 1983 My brother Gordon
My brother Gord is 13 months and 3 days older than me. My Mom always reassured me that while I was a complete surprise I was always wanted. However she never did say that my brother was happy to have a younger sister. Growing up I can safely say that we pretty much hated each other. There were years in our teens that we actually wished eachother horrible deaths and it took a long time for us to be in the same room without some sort of fight breaking out.
I never really understood why we had such animosity towards one another until I realized just how hard it must have been for him as a baby. There he was at 4 months old and my mother's attention was on me most of the time after that. He never really got time alone with my Mom.
So yesterday when I came home from work and found a package waiting for me I was a bit surprised, as I had already received the usual packages for Christmas already. When I opened the box there sat a nicely wrapped gift with a tag that simply stated:
To Mel, Merry Christmas! Love, Gordie
It meant the world to me. Somehow becoming adults makes all the childhood traumas seem ok.
Friday, December 21, 2007
Missing my family.
Posted by
Melanie Routhier
at
6:09 PM
Labels: heart strings
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment