Saturday, August 23, 2008

i have one thing to say ...you better work, bitch !


Linda Evangelista

When I was a kid I had huge obsessions with various models. I would go through every magazine I could get my hands on and cut out their pictures. It started way back in ’86 when I was a mere 11 years old. I already knew what beauty was and I wanted it. My first obsession began with Monika Schnarre. Like her I’m Canadian and the fact that she won the Ford modeling Agency's Supermodel of the World competition at the age of 14, just blew my mind. Then in June of ’88, after Ms. Schnarre’s career had fizzled, this cover of Seventeen landed in my hands and I was awe-struck. Never had I seen such beauty, and this time the girl was the same age as me. I again looked through every magazine I could find and cut out every picture of Milla Jovovich. My Mom gave me an old empty photo album and I began to put the pictures in there. I would sit in my room and gaze longingly at the pictures.

Then in the late ‘80’s/early ‘90’s I discovered the most amazing show Fashion File. I would watch it every week and then I started watching the re-runs on the weekend. Soon I knew every model's name, all about them and could point them out in all the magazines. And that is where I found my lifelong obsession with Linda Evangelista. She is and will always be the most beautiful woman I have ever laid eyes upon. In the early 90’s when glamour was all the rage I was consumed with envy. Linda is the model made famous for going the other route. She cut her hair short when everyone else had it long, she dyed her hair more often than most people change their socks and is famous for stating “I don’t get out of bed for less than $10, 000 a day.” For that quote alone I worshipped her. I immediately threw out all my other model pictures and began furiously hording hers. I even went so far as to decorate the photo album and try and copy her amazing make up.

Over the years I lost my obsession with models and vanity. Most likely due to the fact that I was in my 20's and lived in a small town with only Sears to shop at. Now I only know the major models names and don't really know any of the young ones. I guess this is ok but some days I miss the Supermodels. I think this is some of the reason for my huge shift in vanity. I've literally bought more shoes in the past 3 months than I have in the past 3 years. But maybe as a woman in my 30's I can finally live the dream of being beautiful I had when I was in my tweens.

No comments: