Friday, November 28, 2008

I still can't stop smiling.


Mexican market., originally uploaded by Melanie Jennifer.


A smile is a curve that sets everything straight.
- Phyllis Diller

As I stated earlier our 8 day trip to the Mayan Riviera was absolutely amazing and I am so glad we finally decided to treat ourselves to a real vacation ~ it’s been far too long! (12 years!!)

Although we ended up being in a group of 12 people we spent plenty of time alone together. We really reconnected and had long talks about everything from starting our family, to what we wanted in life. It was so amazing to have a whole week with no distractions except those that you chose to make for yourself.

There is one thing that I did learn about myself however and that is that I cannot sit still for more than 30 minutes without having the urge to be doing something. I was taken by surprise with this as here at home I can spend whole weekends curdled up on the couch reading a book, heck I can even spend an whole hour just staring off into space daydreaming.

But apparently when I am away on vacation I can’t achieve this sort of peace. I believe some of it had to do with the intense heat from the sun. Some of my friends can just lie on a beach chair for hours soaking up the sun but not me. Nope I guess that’s something I need to work on. :)

We spent most of our time on the resort, which was huge (I even got lost by myself the first day there) but luckily there were maps everywhere. On the Wednesday James and I with 3 new friends decided to take the local “transit” into Tulum and rent a car. We ended up getting a Jeep Wrangler and drove 2+ hours to spend the day at Chichen Itza.

The car ride itself was an adventure as we had the top down the entire way, mostly going 110 k/h and as I was in the back I can say it is by far the windiest I have ever experience. Chichen Itza was fascinating and very spacious. I wasn’t sure about going at first but it was such an amazing experience.

I really feel that I can gush about pretty much every aspect of the trip even though some days were more trying than others and there were some not so good things that happened. But looking back all of those little things to complain about don’t really add up when I look at the whole picture.

It’s funny but we are already thinking about where we want to go next year. I really think that taking a real holiday is important to our marriage and my sanity.

No comments: