Thursday, March 13, 2008

Here comes the rain again.


Boreas, John William Waterhouse.


Over the last few months it has become apparent to me that my cycles have been getting worse. I have searched all over for info on my situation and have come up dry.

I finally broke down and purchased Taking Charge of Your Fertility (I read it last year) and found this entry right away:

Luteal Phase Problems

2. The luteal phase appears to be a normal length, but the amount of progesterone is not optimal to produce an ideal uterine environment for implantation.

3. The luteal phase appears normal, but the progesterone starts to dramatically drop just a week or so after ovulation, often causing premenstrual spotting. Again, the progesterone is not high enough to produce an ideal environment for implantation.


So there you have it.

Upon further research I have started taking B6 yesterday which is said to help regulate the luteal phase and help with progesterone.

I went out to dinner last night with friends and talked about this for a bit. It was actually nice to be able to talk about it without getting upset.

My friend asked me midway through the conversation if I’ve seen my doctor about this, and I confessed that I hadn’t. I haven’t really had the courage to make the call; somehow I’ve been seeing that as some sort of defeat, or a way of accepting that there is a problem.

And then she told me just how long it takes to get the testing started; “The longer you put this off Melanie the longer it will take to conceive ~ especially if it turns out to be serious.”

Somehow hearing it put straight forward like that really hit me.

Even if we weren’t trying to conceive I would be concerned about all this spotting. So far I have been spotting in some way for 14 days now.

That just isn’t normal.

And so I made the call today. Surprisingly I was ok with it. I have no idea what sort of tests I will have or what sort of questions I will be asked but at least it will be a start.

Still I am hopeful.

No comments: