Sunday, September 14, 2008

Can I talk about Halloween when it's only September?


All images and craft ideas courtesy of Martha Stewart.

As I've stated before, fall is my favourite time of year. Probably because things start to settle down and fall means Autumn Equinox, Thanksgiving, Halloween, and then Christmas! Being the homebody that I am I love all of the crafts, spending time with friends and family, and just being calm. I love the cool weather and the smell in the air.

The one thing that I have done as an adult is still decorate for each holiday. As a child my Mom always decorated for Halloween and Christmas. I loved all of the cheesy paper decorations we would put up and the excitement in the air on Halloween night. As an adult that now lives in an apartment complex with mostly Seniors, Halloween just doesn’t have the same appeal as it once did. And to compensate for that each year I make a promise to myself in September that THIS year I will decorate for each happy occasion. I vow that I will have a wreath on my door for Autumn and Halloween and Christmas. I always know exactly what I want and get all excited for it. But getting to a craft store for me is always hard as there are no really good ones here in Vancouver. And so I find myself in January not having really celebrated any of the holidays/seasons.

Another more realistic reason why I don’t have lots of decorations is because we live in an apartment and storage is a problem. As it is we have 4 large containers for our Christmas decorations and don’t really have room for other holiday paraphernalia as well. Maybe someday when we own a house (HA!!) I will be able to live my dream.

1 comment:

kelly said...

yeah! i'm getting so excited for halloween. my big question is when is it too early to decorate. i think i still to wait a week or so.