Being an avid book reader I have never been one to jump on the book hype bandwagon. I think some of this has to do with having worked in a bookstore for 5 years and seeing firsthand how a book can go from sitting on a shelf one day to being a bestseller the next. And it was more the fact that people bought these overnight successes only because of the hype and not because the book was actually well written that really bothered me, and still does. Call me a little stubborn but I usually refuse to by a book because everyone else is reading it. Case in point Harry Potter; I only just read the series last year.
So when I started seeing this cover for Twilight pop up all over the web a few months ago I just shrugged it off. Especially after I discovered that it was a Teen book about vampires. Now I have nothing against Teen books (I do prefer Kids books over Teen any day as Teen books tend to not have much of a story base) or vampire books (I was a HUGE Anne Rice fan in my late teens/early twenties) but thinking of the two together did not bode well in my mind. But last week after being in a bit of a reading rut I found out my friend Wendy was just finishing up the 4th book in the Twilight series. I finally gave in and borrowed the first 3 books. In my defence I borrowed them because I was desperate and needed something anything to ready. Lucky for me I didn’t realize then what I was getting myself into.
I started reading Twilight last Monday and to my surprise it was actually ok. Sure there were some flaws, the writing wasn’t amazing and there were parts (hell whole pages) that I skimmed through because I didn’t care about her classes or her relationships with her teenage friends; but for a first novel I found it well interesting. It wasn’t until Tuesday when to my surprise I found myself thinking about the book all day that I knew I was in trouble. I couldn’t get Bella and Edward out of my head and I had so many questions and found myself really wanting to know what was going to happen to these characters. I found myself staying up until 2am to find out more and I quickly finished Twilight and started New Moon which I unfortunately found more disappointing. Again I have no interest in any other character than Bella and Edward so I was not impressed when Stephenie Meyer started focusing on characters other than the Cullen’s, but I found the writing better and this book did reveal more about Edward and his kind.
I still can’t quite pinpoint what it is about these books that have me so hooked. But I must admit that I am. Maybe it’s because these books having me wanting more for them. More juicy parts, more story, more everything. But I digress as these are Teens books and well I just need to accept that they are what they are. I am now getting into the 3rd book Eclipse which I have heard is far better than the first 2. So I am off to spend the rest of the day snuggling up with a pot of tea, my Domino Bunny and my lovely books.
Enjoy your weekend. I know I will!

4 comments:
I'm hoping on this book bandwagon and I still haven't read or seen anything Harry Potter related...
help me!
Good luck and make sure you get your sleep now while you still can. :)
I know! "Do I dazzle you" ha! If you ever want to try a new series, read Christine Feehan - it's a smut series, but great stores :)
I enjoy them.. I am pissed they are not releasing the paperback versions for the rest till next year though so I haven't gone any further then new moon.
I actually picked twilight up randomly. I'm out of the loop of things and so while it was a craze all around me I had no idea :P
Her writing isn't great but there is something that keeps you coming back.
I also enjoyed P.C. Casts' teen series "House of the night". Stared with "Chosen" cheezy, but light, some fun stuff with a goddessey feel.
Post a Comment