Friday, April 4, 2008


My sister Elizabeth and my niece Hope

Well my Dr's appointment is over and done with.

It was interesting in that I had to really insist on getting a referral; which I did and the ob/gyn is a highly respected one here in Vancouver.

I’m not sure how long it will take to actually get the appointment but at least it is a first step.

My GP stated that I was the 7th person that day that was having a difficult time conceiving.

I asked him why he thought that was and he said it was all because of our society. Most people are much more educated today about their bodies and also most people are waiting until they are well into their 30’s to start having babies. He actually said that “people in their 20’s are like rabbits but when you get into your late 30’s things start to break down.”

But he did keep insisting that I am still young and healthy and that many people just take a few years to conceive; which is where I needed to insist on seeing an ob/gyn.

He was totally fine with having me wait until I was 34 but I explained to him that if there is still a problem at that point that it lowers my chances of having more children.

He finally gave in thankfully.

The other thing he really stressed was that I start using some sort of ovulation predictor.

Because my ovulation date varies so much (between day 10 and day 18) I’m really gambling each month. I did some research and have ordered a bunch of the basic pee in a cup kind.

It’s funny because about 6 months ago James and I talked about going this route but he was really wanting to let nature takes its course whereas now when I mentioned it again he jumped in even before I could finish the sentence and said that I should buy the strips.

So this cycle I will be using the OPK’s and I also will be getting some blood work done to test my progesterone levels.

Hopefully I will see the new Dr within the next few months and get even more info. Having made these first few steps has done wonders for my anxiety and I feel much more hopeful and at ease with things than I have before.

No comments: